Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy the Next Frozen? YES!

Okay Okay... I am going to go out on a limb and make a bold statement.  I think Guardians of the Galaxy has potential to be the next big hit for Disney, on the same scale of Frozen. I know.. some of you might be scratching your head. They are two totally different movies...  animated versus live-action... singing versus violence. My husband differs with me too.  He thinks it will be the next big comic book movie like Avengers, lacking the mass appeal like Frozen had.
I think Guardians will be the next Frozen because it will be a bigger hit than expected like Frozen. I predict that the merchandise will be hard to find once the word is out. I remember Frozen merchandise on the shelves before the movie hit theaters. Soon after Christmas it was near impossible (and still is) to find an Elsa doll.  We bought David an Olaf on our last Disney trip before the movie was released, because David just thought he was cute. Right now David has the same fixation with Rocket Raccoon. I highly suggest if you have a little one who is the least bit interested in the movie, buy the toys now, and save them for a special occasion later. (a sidenote: my husband and I collect action figures so this is coming from a collectors point of view)  We did.  Bonus: Target has great toy sale going on this week.  All toys (except for Legos) are buy one get one 40 percent this week
Another reason, this might be the first time that Marvel characters can appear at Disney World. Due to the Marvel contract with Universal, characters associated with the Guardians movie are not covered or mentioned.  If the movie becomes as popular as Frozen perhaps in the upcoming months we can hope to some of them in the park.  This would be great for my little boy, who seems very burned out on Frozen sing-a-longs. (However Mommy will never give up Let it Go- and will continue to conduct my own private sing-a-longs.)
Guardians is already getting rave reviews.  According to Rotten Tomatoes, it already has a higher top critic rating then Frozen. It has a great cast attached to it.  My son recognizes Star Lord's voice as Emmet from the Lego Movie. The unique characters like Rocket Raccoon and Groot fascinate him.
We already have a family movie date set in the upcoming weeks.  Grandpa (aka my Dad) is tagging along too.  My husband has fond memories of reading Rocket Raccoon comics when he was young and is excited to share it with David.  This should be a fun family experience!  I should note that this movie has a PG-13 rating, may not be suitable for a younger audience.  Frozen has a PG rating.  I am not opposed to letting my toddler watch this movie. My only concern is he might not have the patience to sit through the movie, but we are going to give a try!
I'll check in a few weeks and let you know if it really is the next Frozen!

No comments:

Post a Comment