Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Why we don't rent a stroller at Walt Disney World!


Huh?  Did I just say our family doesn't rent a stroller in Disney?  My poor 3 year old, right?  Just kidding we don't make David walk around the World.  I am not cruel but I am cheap!  I believe in bringing your own, even if you're flying!

Why we bring our own?

Cost: In my opinion it is cheaper to buy a nice umbrella stroller.
Typically when we go to Walt Disney World we stay at least 10 days and so far we've been vacationing at the World once a year.  The average price for a stroller rental for our entire stay about $80.  The cost of our Chicco Lightweight stroller $140.  2 trips to Disney and our stroller would be paid for!
Convenience: We can use our stroller at the airport.
Comfort: I have the fussiest child.  Honestly I am not sure David would like a stroller that he is not used too. He even has a name for his stroller, his "cycle" as in motorcycle.

What to look for in a good stroller for travel:

Umbrella Strollers-Especially if you are flying, most airlines will let you check your umbrella stroller at the gate with the wheel chairs. There should not be an additional cost.  Added bonus! Now you would have your stroller with you throughout the airport.  No complaining of the walking.  Those airports have just much walking as Disney!
Lightweight and ease of use:  We shopped for a stroller that was relatively light and easy plus fast to fold.  I don't like to hold up a bus line trying to fold and pack up my stroller.  Plus if you are flying, you will need to fold it up and put it through the x-ray machine.
Cup holder: Our stroller has a cup holder for Mommy and Daddy. David had a strap attached to his stroller in order to keep track of his drink.  The cup holder was easily attached, which also made it easier to fly with. We removed almost all accessories for the plane ride.
Sun Screen:  We were able to easily pack our canopy in our luggage and we're able to pull it out for the parks.
Easy to clean:  I am not going to lie.  David ate most his meals in his stroller and many Mickey Bars.  Many ice cream spills occurred and they were relatively easy to clean up.
Under storage area:  My first time traveling to Disney with a child in stroller was awesome!  Now with the magic bands I am going totally hands free and purse free.  I have a baby bag backpack that hangs over the stroller handles.
Reclining back:  I feel like we scored big with this feature.  Our umbrella reclined all the way back.
Our stroller often doubles as an extra seat
Do you need to spend big bucks on an umbrella stroller?
Nope.  We did because we were in the market for a new stroller.  However, my sister has used a cheap $20 umbrella stroller with most of her kids and it worked out great for her.  If you buy a cheap stroller and don't want to take it back home with you, share the love and pass it on to another family.

I am not totally anti-stroller rental.  Rentals would work great for shorter stays, infrequent trips, and multiple kids in strollers.  Some of the stroller rental company also offer other baby items to rent like cribs, nicer pack n plays. Some will also provide a large case of water with your rental for a cost.
Happy travels!







2 comments:

  1. My youngest is 8 now, so we're stroller-less at Disney and I miss having a stroller to store all our stuff in/on! On our last couple of stroller trips, we rented a stroller from Kingdom Strollers. I would highly recommend their services.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! I feel spoiled with our stroller.

    ReplyDelete